With reference to clause (g) of sub – section (I) of Section 26 of the University Grants Commission Act, 1956, and AICTE notification vide curricular no. F. No. 37-3/legal /AICTE/2009 dated 25/03/2009 and further updated by notification dated 1st July 2009 on AICTE website, all regulations will be followed strictly in the institute to root out ragging in all its forms, by prohibiting it by law, preventing its occurrence and punishing those who indulge in ragging. The Anti Ragging Committee will consist of representatives of faculty members, parents, students belonging to the fresher’ category as well as seniors and non-teaching staff. It shall monitor the Anti-ragging activities in the institutions; consider the recommendations of the Anti-ragging squad and take appropriate decisions, including spelling out suitable punishments to those found guilty.
The following will be termed as the act of Ragging:
Any disorderly conduct whether by words spoken or written or by an act which has the effect of teasing, treating or handling with rudeness any other students, indulging in rowdy or undisciplined activities which causes or is likely to cause annoyance, hardship or psychological harm or raise fear of apprehension thereof in fresher’s or juniors students or asking the students to do any act or perform something which such students will not do in the ordinary course and which has the effect of causing or generating a sense of shame or embarrassment so as to adversely affect the physique or psyche of a fresher or junior student.
What is the punishment for the offence?
Ragging in the college campus is banned and anyone found guilty of ragging and/or abetting ragging is liable to be punished appropriately. The punishment may include:
1. Suspension from attending classes and academic privileges
2. Withholding / withdrawing scholarship / fellowship and other benefits
3. Debarring from appearing in any test/examination/ placement activities or other evaluation process.
4. Withholding results
5. Debarring from representing the institution in any regional, national or international meet tournament, youth festival, etc.
6. Suspension / expulsion from the hostel
7. Cancellation of admission
8. Rustication from the institution for period ranging from 1 to 4 semesters.
9. Expulsion from the institution and consequent debarring from admission to any other institution for specified period.
10. Collective Punishment: When the persons committing or abetting the crime of ragging are not identified, the institution shall resort to collective punishment.
ANTI RAGGING COMMITTEE